Brittany D. McClure
The Valdosta Daily Times
I was incredibly disappointed with Black Friday this year, but yet, I expected it because for the past three years, Black Friday sales have been incredibly disappointing.
I only have a handful of presents under my tree right now because I simply refuse to pay for something that I know will go on sale two days before Christmas.
That being said, per some intense research, here is a list of when it’s best to buy that popular holiday gifting items.
• Dec. 17 is a key date for things such as women’s robes, men’s belts, wallets and other various knick-knacks that make great presents when you’re clueless about what the person wants.
• While most electronic deals are pretty much over by Cyber Monday, there may be additional push around Dec. 17 if you’re ordering online. A lot of sites will start doing free shipping just in time for Christmas delivery.
• You’ll see a big jump in apparel sales on Dec. 17 and that will carry through Dec. 24.
• The worst time to shop is the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Things such as clothing and shoes are frightfully expensive because retailers know how many gift cards they’ve sold this holiday season. If you can stash that cash after New Year’s Day, you will see more bang for your buck.
• The only exception to the above rule is movies, books and music which tend to go on sale at their cheapest between Dec. 26 and Dec. 31.
• You’ll see real bargains come around Jan. 7. You might not get the creme de la creme of merchandise, but everything left will be heavily discounted.
• A lot of families like to get together and play games on Christmas Eve and the best time to buy board games is between Dec. 15 and Dec. 22.
• If you plan on gifting food for the person that has everything, hold off buying those sausage and cheese bundles until between Dec. 20 and Dec. 25.
• Holiday home and garden decor is best bought after Christmas between Dec. 26 and Dec. 31. The longer you hold out, the better deal you will get. Obviously, the worst time to buy holiday decor is during the holiday season.
• Every girl loves diamonds, and luckily, most men like to shop last minute! The best time to buy jewelry is between Dec. 15 and Dec. 22.
To get ahead on your shopping for next year or for more statistics, check out this great site I found called InfographicsArchive.com. Its insight will help you in the future avoid the rush and will hopefully calm your nerves now, because though it’s only nine days until Christmas, you still have plenty of time.
Don’t forget to like me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BrittanysBudgetDiary and follow me on Twitter @VDT_Brittany.
For more on this story and other local news, subscribe to The Valdosta Daily Times e-Edition, or our print edition.