The Valdosta Daily Times
Hurricane Sandy has remapped poll locations around the Northeast, and national polls have projected the presidential race to be a close one, with the popular vote a virtual tie between Obama and Romney going into today’s election, but Deborah Cox, of the Lowndes County Election Board, warned that provisional ballots could extend Lowndes County’s races past Tuesday.
“We have 148 provisional ballots so far and we had 1,000 before the 2008 elections were complete,” said Cox. “So there were enough provisional ballots to tilt several races.”
Provisional ballots are used when precincts are unable to confirm a voter’s eligibility and elections offices are awarded two post-election days to confirm or deny the tentatively approved ballots.
Lowndes County’s elections board will begin submitting both paper and early ballots to state officials at 9 a.m. today. The preliminary tally of Election Day votes begins at 7 p.m. today, and all votes will be confirmed by Friday.
Cox said that after months of careful planning, none of the county’s precincts expected to have any difficulties during the election.
Lowndes County’s registered voters are assigned to 12 precincts, with the bulk of the electorate heading out to the polls today between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
The following is a list of Lowndes County’s poll locations:
• Precinct 1 - Hahira Historical Society, 116 East Lawson Street, Hahira
• Precinct 2 - Old Pine Grove Elementary School Gym, 4023 Pine Grove Road, Valdosta
• Precinct 3 - Trinity Presbyterian Church, 3501 Bemiss Road, Valdosta
• Precinct 4 - Northside Baptist Church Gym, 200 East Park Avenue, Valdosta
• Precinct 5 - Jaycee Park Activities Building, 2306 Jaycee Shack Road, Valdosta
• Precinct 6 - Naylor City Hall, 8753 Ga. Highway 135, Naylor
• Precinct 7 - Wood Valley Community Center, 1907 Gornto Road, Valdosta
• Precinct 8 - James H. Rainwater Conference Center, One Meeting Place, Valdosta
• Precinct 9 - New Clyattville Fire Station, 5080 Madison Highway, Clyattville
• Precinct 10 - Mildred Hunter Community Center, 509 South Fry Street, Valdosta
• Precinct 11 - Dasher City Hall, 3686 US Highway 41 South Dasher
• Precinct 12 - South Lowndes Recreation Center, 6440 Ocean Pond Avenue, Lake Park
Municipal elections will be held at:
• Hahira Courthouse
• Remerton City Hall
• Dasher City Hall
• Lake Park Civic Center
Check the status of your voter registration and find your precinct by visiting http://mvp.sos.
state.ga.us/Login.aspx. Watch results roll in live on Lowndes County’s website at http://www.lowndescounty.com/results.asp
Ride with your party if you need help getting out to the voting booths. The Republican Party has asked citizens to call 229-548-3748 or 229-247-4111 for a ride and the Democratic Party has asked residents to call 229-630-8486 or 229-241-1694.